Senior Engineer, Data Platform
Veho's mission is to revolutionize the world of package delivery by creating exceptional experiences for customers and drivers.
For too long, parcel delivery companies have focused solely on efficiencies and cost-management. Veho focuses on the end-customer. As the first technology company of its kind, Veho replaces the old delivery trucks with a platform of crowdsourced drivers and a network of hyper-local delivery stations. We partner with some of the most recognized consumer brands such as Warby Parker and Hello Fresh to provide an incredible experience with every delivery, and give customers control on how, when and where their package is delivered.
Customers LOVE us. Despite growing at a record-speed over the past two years, we maintain an incredibly high customer satisfaction rating of 4.9/5 stars, and an unprecedented on-time delivery rate of 99.9% - far above every other company in the country.
In short, we are building the logistics platform of the future.
Veho is backed by former top executives and board members at Uber, FedEx, UPS, eBay and Amazon, three former public company CEOs, early investors in Lyft and Instacart, as well as prominent venture capital firms General Catalyst, Tiger Global, and Softbank. We are a team of leaders who are passionate about building an incredible company that will change the face of this industry.
About the role
This role is the second senior hire in the Data Platform engineering team. You will be part of the founding team that is building the infrastructural foundations for data aggregation, management, and insights at Veho. Our data and engineering teams build products that power our operations (warehouse, transportation, and marketplace), help drivers successfully deliver packages with care, and provide consumers visibility into everything that is happening. Data and AI is central to our roadmap and you will be critical to its success.
In this role, your immediate focus will be to assemble our first data platform using a combination of technologies from the modern data stack and set up the data platform to support Veho’s growth and operational outlook.
- Assembling a data intensive platform that is used by Veho engineers, data scientists, analysts, and business users from across the company.
- Drive and deliver the foundational infrastructure to support the product vision for data products.
- Applying systems thinking to data product development.
- Providing thought leadership on how to leverage data infrastructure in analytical and operational contexts.
- Excelling at mentoring and guiding a fast growing organization by setting the right architectural patterns, partnering and driving build vs buy decisions, partnering and driving our data strategy.
- Being adept at identifying and pursuing quick wins while prioritizing for the long-term.
- Breaking down large systems so they can be built iteratively while delivering continuous customer value.
- Rolling up your sleeves and getting down to the lowest level of details when appropriate.
- Collaborating with stakeholders, peer leaders, and business leaders across Veho.
Projects you will be involved in:
- Scale and stabilize the BI stack that uses Metabase, Redshift, and Fivetran.
- Set up data science workbench with distributed compute (eg: Spark) to open up data exploration policies
- Build Veho’s data lake using Iceberg or Delta
- Establish best practices for data engineering and data management.
- Partner with engineering teams on rolling out operational analytics datastore to support leveraging data outcomes for operational decision making (in the product or real-time in warehouses)
- Build a MLops workflow for machine learning teams.
- You are an experienced technical leader with a proven track record of delivering impactful results.
- You have a deep technical engineering background in one of more areas of the modern data stack.
- You are comfortable with ambiguity and have a sufficient understanding of all parts of the modern data stack.
- Exceptional communication skills and ability to translate technical concepts into easy to understand language for our stakeholders.
- Excitement for working with a remote team; you value collaborating on problems, asking questions, delivering feedback, and supporting others in their goals whether they are in your vicinity or entire cities apart.
What We Value:
- Human - You value human dignity and treat others with respect. You value everyone as a unique individual no matter their role, seniority, or expertise.
- Ownership - You take 100% responsibility for the areas you are accountable for, and support others to succeed in theirs.
- Team Success - You recognize that the team’s success is your personal success. You support others through open-mindedness and transparency, and actively seek the best solution even if that isn’t your own.
- Candor - You relentlessly pursue personal growth and are open & honest about your own shortcomings. You provide authentic, candid feedback to your peers, and welcome the same in return.
Why You Want to Work with Veho:
- Competitive Salary - Compensation range starts at $148k
- Equity in a super fast-growing start-up
- Full Suite of Benefits - Health Insurance (medical, dental, vision)
- Unlimited PTO
- Team meetups, and much more!
The salary range for this role is $148,000 - 175,000K. The actual salary is dependent upon many factors, such as: education, experience, and skills. The pay range is subject to the discretion of the Company.
Veho is a growth company that looks for team members to grow with it. Veho offers a generous ownership package, casual work environment, a diverse and inclusive culture, and an electric atmosphere for professional development. No matter the location, or the role, every Veho employee shares one galvanizing mission: to revolutionize the world of package delivery by creating exceptional experiences for customers and drivers. We are deeply value-driven (Ownership, Candor, Team Success, Human) and care tremendously about investing in people. We are committed to creating a diverse team and an environment that provides everyone with the opportunity to do the work of their lifetime. Veho is unable to provide sponsorship at this time.
Veho is committed to nurturing, cultivating and preserving a diverse and inclusive work environment. Empathy and respect for each other is core to our values and a central part of working here every day. The diversity of our employees, drivers and applicants is welcomed and encouraged.
Something looks off?