Working to solve our climate crisis is the most important mission of our time, and the most exciting problem to be working on. Overstory’s mission is to help solve our climate crisis by providing real-time intelligence about the planet’s vegetation. In our first step toward this mission, we are applying machine learning to satellite imagery to track forests and vegetation, helping to reduce the risk of wildfires and power outages.
We have already proven our business model and we’re all united behind our ambitious vision to scale up this model to help humanity and the planet. We recently raised a round of funding, led by Convective Capital. Other investors include: B Capital Group, Moxxie Ventures, Capital T, Pale Blue Dot and many other climate-focused investors.
If you want to have a real impact and solve some of the world's most complex challenges with advanced technology, come work with our talented and passionate team. Overstory is based in Amsterdam but we are a remote-first company, with people living all over the U.S. and Europe.
As we are growing our technology team, we are looking to hire an Engineering Manager. You will manage 6-8 folks from the tech team, making sure they have the support and environment that they need for the team to deliver on Overstory’s short-term goals and long-term mission. This includes enabling them to do their best work, individually and as a team, with appropriate priorities and challenges, helping them grow and learn with mentoring, coaching, and feedback.
Reporting to the Engineering Director, you will be working closely with them on planning the work of Overstory’s product engineering team - balancing business requirements, customers’ needs and the needs of the team. You will observe team processes and work with the teams to adjust them as needed to help us deliver. As we scale up our efforts and grow the team, you will work with the tech leadership on creating and executing the hiring plan.
Overstory’s tech team is at a key moment - we are growing to support the demand from customers for our product and you will be the first engineering manager for our new phase of development. There is a lot of great work happening at Overstory right now in developing our technical product, getting it into the hands of customers at scale and building the tools and platforms to support this. We need someone who can help us grow wisely, support the team flexibly, continue to strengthen our culture and working practices and ensure Overstory engineering thrives and delivers.
- Experience managing engineers in a product-led startup environment.
- Experience hiring, onboarding and supporting team members, and developing and enhancing how we do these activities.
- Confident running tech team processes such as retrospectives and planning sessions, with a variety of techniques and flexibility to try and evaluate new ones.
- Strong communication, interpersonal, and conflict resolution skills, including with colleagues with different backgrounds.
- Experience managing teams remotely.
- Experience working with ‘deep tech’ or technical product engineering with a high level of complexity and uncertainty.
- Experience in some sort of hands-on technical role.
- You are empathetic.
- You practice servant leadership.
- You know how to solve problems with multiple stakeholders and multiple inputs.
- You should be technical enough to understand the work of Overstory’s tech team, and to jump in hands-on for non-specialist tasks, such as editing a Jupyter notebook, or reviewing geospatial data.
- Ideally, you’re in a time zone +/- 1 hour from CET.
What you get
- To be part of truly mission-driven work that reduces wildfires, protects earth’s natural resources and helps solve our climate crisis.
- Flexible working environment with a lot of autonomy. We build our work days around our lives, not the other way around.
- Other benefits like a remote working budget, an educational budget and time to develop new skills.
- To be surrounded by an excellent, vibrant, smart team who have each other's back and believe in a culture of openness, tolerance and respect.
- Equity and a competitive salary.
About our team
We are a group of 43 people from all over the world. Twelve nationalities are represented in our team. We work remotely from eight different countries and occasionally (optionally!) meet up for in-person collaboration.
Diversity & Inclusion
We place enormous value on diversity and inclusion and strive to continually bring in people of all genders, races, creeds, ethnicities, abilities and backgrounds. We believe that the best ideas emerge when people with different perspectives and approaches work together on a problem.
We’re always looking to diversify our team further, but we’re proud of the fact that four out of the eight people on our leadership team are female or non-white males, 40% of the overall team are female and 25% of the team are people of color. Our team speaks ten languages: English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Russian, Luxembourgish, Indonesian and Cantonese.
Tackling the climate crisis is our greatest mission.
We act with urgency.
Our curiosity fuels our growth.
We recognize that change is constant, and we find joy and power in exploration.
We’re rooted in diversity.
Just as ecosystems need biodiversity to thrive, our resiliency comes from our differences.
We care for each other.
We love the power of machines but we nurture each other as humans.
Trust is fundamental.
We assume the best in everyone, and we share ideas openly so that we have a positive impact.