Environmental Health and Safety Specialist
Tracy, CA, USA
Posted on Friday, November 10, 2023
All across the world, from the azure pools of Turkey and Oman to the travertine terraces of Yellowstone, our planet quietly pulls carbon dioxide from the air and turns it to stone. For eons, Earth has relied on this process to balance its carbon cycle. What if it could be harnessed? What if we could do it faster, in larger quantities, and at a low enough cost to make it an effective tool in the fight against climate change?
At Heirloom, we are turning that into reality. We use the natural carbon capture properties of abundant minerals to pull CO2 from the air, and store it permanently underground. We come to work every day to slow climate change, and are united behind a single, common goal - to remove 1 billion tons of CO2 from the sky by 2035, and to not stop before we get there.
We bring together the precise recipe of science, technology, know-how, and strategy necessary to make low cost, high quality carbon removal a reality. If we’re successful, we will directly mitigate climate change, build a world we can proudly hand over to our children and grandchildren, and catalyze an industry that will rival the largest the world has ever seen. If you want to change the planet, come join us.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
As temperatures continue to rise, individuals from marginalized communities will face the harshest impacts of climate change. We believe wholeheartedly that building a diverse company is critical to Heirloom’s success. To accomplish this, we’ve put recruiting, hiring and retaining individuals from underrepresented groups at the top of our priority list. We urge you to apply if you identify as Black, Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander, American Indian or Alaskan Native, Hispanic or Latino, LGBTQ+ – or with any other underrepresented group – even if you don’t tick all the boxes in the description below.
Heirloom is looking for an EHS specialist to support our mission of removing 1 billion tons of CO2 from the atmosphere via our Direct Air Capture (DAC) process. This is a super exciting opportunity to help lead the Environmental Health & Safety efforts for a true DAC industry pioneer from construction and commissioning, to operation. In this role, you will work with a motivated and passionate team developing the construction and site specific safety procedures required to make our mission a success. Your primary focus will be on human health and safety while also upholding operational performance as key drivers of our mission. You’ll be a key champion in driving people and environmental safety throughout the organization and with our third party partners. Note that this role will be based out our Tracy, CA location with travel to our Brisbane, CA location.
We're currently on the lookout for an experienced construction safety professional or a degreed early-career safety professional who's ready to take on an exciting new opportunity. No matter what career path you’ve taken to date, you'll have gained valuable experience working hands-on with engineering, research, and/or deployment teams to put safeguards in place to mitigate risks. Your in depth knowledge of OSHA 1926 or 1910 has equipped you to build a focus on human health and safety into a culture of operational excellence and optimal performance. And your deep knowledge and experience with project management, risk analysis, incident management, and electrical safety (e.g. lockout tagout) will help you get the team on board to achieve our safety goals through standardized and repeatable processes.
Below are a few extra requirements:
Ability to work in outdoor environments (example: hot sun, cold, etc.).
Position may require working at heights including; climbing ladders, stairs, and working on scissor lifts.
Capable of performing
Experience using basic hand and power tools safely.
You don’t have to have every listed requirement and skill to be a great fit - you may even teach us something about what we should be looking for! If you are passionate about this opportunity and think you have the skills to succeed, please apply!
Radical Honesty means we are open, transparent, and inclusive in everything we do. We aren't scared to challenge each other, but bring clear motives and our best intentions when we do.
Persistent Optimism means we carry an infinite amount of optimistic energy with us on our journey, constantly chipping away at what may
Maximize our learning rate means we're always in discovery mode. Compounding knowledge is our key to victory - we continuously hone our crafts, seek the fastest paths to new learning, and are quick to absorb new knowledge.
Why you should join Heirloom
- We are solving the engineering problem of our generation. Climate change is an existential threat, and we need as many of the world’s motivated minds as possible to help. There is no greater challenge or opportunity than fighting climate change.
- We have done this before. We have done this before. We’re engineers, scientists, and concerned humans from a variety of backgrounds and experiences who are pooling our knowledge and skills to collectively build a more equitable, prosperous future for all.
- We are a united, resilient, and optimistic bunch. We are all here for the same reason - to slow climate change. We recognize the magnitude of the challenge ahead of us, and believe we can solve it. We can see a hopeful future where we eventually reverse climate change. It won’t be easy, but we won’t quit.
- We are backed by the best climate partners in the world. We’re well funded by investors from Breakthrough Energy Ventures, Ahren Innovation Capital, Carbon Direct, Microsoft, Lowercarbon Capital, ARPA-e and the National Science Foundation. Our early customers include Stripe, Shopify, and Klarna, and we’re building durable partnerships that enable us to tackle this decades-long problem.
Perks and Benefits
- Robust health coverage. Excellent health, dental and vision insurance covered up to 100% by Heirloom. FSA option.
- Generous parental leave. 16 weeks paid leave for all Heirloom employees, regardless of primary/secondary caregiver status.
- Generous stock options.
- Flexible time off. Unlimited PTO for exempt (salaried) employees & 80 hours for full time non-exempt (hourly) employees.
- Stay healthy. Monthly health and wellness reimbursement.
- Learn on the job. Robust annual education and conference budget, including airfare and hotel costs.