Electrical Project Engineer
Brisbane, CA, USA
Posted on Friday, August 18, 2023
We are looking for an Electrical Project Engineer to help bring Heirloom’s carbon technology to life! This role is both incredibly exciting and carries significant responsibility - you will be integral to our mission of removing thousands of tons of CO2 while drawing on your experience executing complex, multi-disciplinary, capital projects from start to finish.
You will be responsible for design and integration of the plant level electrical system for a first of its kind direct air capture plant. You will play a vital role in building something that’s never been built before!
All across the world, from the azure pools of Turkey and Oman to the travertine terraces of Yellowstone, our planet quietly pulls carbon dioxide from the air and turns it to stone. For eons, Earth has relied on this process to balance its carbon cycle. What if it could be harnessed? What if we could do it faster, in larger quantities, and at a low enough cost to make it an effective tool in the fight against climate change?
At Heirloom, we are turning that into reality. We use the natural carbon capture properties of abundant minerals to pull CO2 from the air, and store it permanently underground. We come to work every day to slow climate change, and are united behind a single, common goal - to remove 1 billion tons of CO2 from the sky by 2035, and to not stop before we get there.
We bring together the precise recipe of science, technology, know-how, and strategy necessary to make low cost, high quality carbon removal a reality. If we’re successful, we will directly mitigate climate change, build a world we can proudly hand over to our children and grandchildren, and catalyze an industry that will rival the largest the world has ever seen. If you want to change the planet, come join us.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
As temperatures continue to rise, individuals from marginalized communities will face the harshest impacts of climate change. We believe wholeheartedly that building a diverse company is critical to Heirloom’s success. To accomplish this, we’ve put recruiting, hiring and retaining individuals from underrepresented groups at the top of our priority list. We urge you to apply if you identify as Black, Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander, American Indian or Alaskan Native, Hispanic or Latino, LGBTQ+ – or with any other underrepresented group – even if you don’t tick all the boxes in the description below.
In this role, you will be the responsible Electrical Engineer for the plant level electrical system. You will work with internal engineering teams and outside contractors to take electrical system designs through the full lifecycle from requirement definition through commissioning in the field. As part of the Project Engineering team, you will be responsible for interfacing with equipment vendors and EPCs to ensure that the process equipment is ready on time to sequester CO2 from the atmosphere. Collaborating with project engineering, controls engineering, and suppliers to understand and document electrical system requirements, you will lead the design of the plant level electrical system.
Here are some detailed activities you’ll be responsible for:
-Generate single line diagrams and design drawings individually and in collaboration with external partners
-Specify electrical equipment and distribution hardware
-Review electrical equipment submittals and work with suppliers through manufacturing processEnsure electrical hazards are controlled by design
-Model and analyze trade-offs between potential system architectures and equipment options
-Review/Approve plant electrical drawings and hardware for safety, compliance, and completeness
-Create fail-safe hardwired and relay control wiring designs
-Develop specifications and validation plans for grounding/bonding, and backup power systemsAdvise on the effects of EMI and EMI compliance for product plant electrical systems
What you will bring
You are a seasoned, adaptable, PE Electrical Engineer with experience managing high power industrial projects from design to deployment. Over your 7+ years of experience designing electrical systems for industrial applications, data centers or similar, you have learned to thrive in a fast paced environment, and have developed the ability to learn continuously and apply theoretical knowledge to real world problems. And, of course, you have gained significant experience working with vendors and contractors.
Detailed Technical requirements for this role:
-Application of NFPA 70/NEC, IEEE and IEC Codes and Standards for industrial installations
-Experience with supply chains and manufacturers for plant electrical distribution hardware
-Product certification experience (e.g. UL Listing, Field Certification) P.E. Preferred
You don’t have to have every listed skill to be a great fit - you may even teach us something about what we should be looking for! If you are passionate about this opportunity and think you have the skills to succeed, please apply!
Radical Honesty means we are open, transparent, and inclusive in everything we do. We aren't scared to challenge each other, but bring clear motives and our best intentions when we do.
Persistent Optimism means we carry an infinite amount of optimistic energy with us on our journey, constantly chipping away at what may
Maximize our learning rate means we're always in discovery mode. Compounding knowledge is our key to victory - we continuously hone our crafts, seek the fastest paths to new learning, and are quick to absorb new knowledge.
Why you should join Heirloom
- We are solving the engineering problem of our generation. Climate change is an existential threat, and we need as many of the world’s motivated minds as possible to help. There is no greater challenge or opportunity than fighting climate change.
- We have done this before. We have done this before. We’re engineers, scientists, and concerned humans from a variety of backgrounds and experiences who are pooling our knowledge and skills to collectively build a more equitable, prosperous future for all.
- We are a united, resilient, and optimistic bunch. We are all here for the same reason - to slow climate change. We recognize the magnitude of the challenge ahead of us, and believe we can solve it. We can see a hopeful future where we eventually reverse climate change. It won’t be easy, but we won’t quit.
- We are backed by the best climate partners in the world. We’re well funded by investors from Breakthrough Energy Ventures, Ahren Innovation Capital, Carbon Direct, Microsoft, Lowercarbon Capital, ARPA-e and the National Science Foundation. Our early customers include Stripe, Shopify, and Klarna, and we’re building durable partnerships that enable us to tackle this decades-long problem.
Perks and Benefits
- Robust health coverage. Excellent health, dental and vision insurance covered up to 100% by Heirloom. FSA option.
- Generous parental leave. 16 weeks paid leave for all Heirloom employees, regardless of primary/secondary caregiver status.
- Generous stock options.
- Flexible time off. Unlimited PTO for exempt (salaried) employees & 80 hours for full time non-exempt (hourly) employees.
- Stay healthy. Monthly health and wellness reimbursement.
- Learn on the job. Robust annual education and conference budget, including airfare and hotel costs.
At Heirloom we will be deploying systems all over the world in different conditions, including hot and cold weather. This role may require you to occasionally work at heights, perform repetitive activities, including lifting 50 pounds or more, and occasionally use some basic hand and power tools.