Brisbane, CA, USA
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2023
Are you a talented lab technician that enjoys working on hard problems? Do you want to be a part of a mission-driven team making a real impact on the environment?
All across the world, from the azure pools of Turkey and Oman to the travertine terraces of Yellowstone, our planet quietly pulls carbon dioxide from the air and turns it to stone. For eons, Earth has relied on this process to balance its carbon cycle. What if it could be harnessed? What if we could do it faster, in larger quantities, and at a low enough cost to make it an effective tool in the fight against climate change?
At Heirloom, we are turning that into reality. We use the natural carbon capture properties of abundant minerals to pull CO2 from the air, and store it permanently underground. We come to work every day to slow climate change, and are united behind a single, common goal - to remove 1 billion tons of CO2 from the sky by 2035, and to not stop before we get there.
We bring together the precise recipe of science, technology, know-how, and strategy necessary to make low cost, high quality carbon removal a reality. If we’re successful, we will directly mitigate climate change, build a world we can proudly hand over to our children and grandchildren, and catalyze an industry that will rival the largest the world has ever seen. If you want to change the planet, come join us.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Heirloom is committed to diversity and building an equitable and inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and experiences. We believe wholeheartedly that building a diverse company is critical to Heirloom’s success. We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ+ people, veterans, and people with disabilities.
Are you a talented laboratory technician looking for an opportunity to work on cutting-edge technology that could change the world? Do you want to be a part of a mission-driven team making a real impact on the environment?
We are seeking a skilled laboratory technician to join our world-class team of technicians, scientists, and engineers in scaling our unique direct air capture technology. As a laboratory technician, you will be responsible for implementing laboratory procedures and protocols, maintaining and troubleshooting laboratory equipment, and monitoring inventory levels of laboratory supplies. Your work will contribute to our mission of developing an economical and scalable carbon removal solution.
What You Will Bring
The ideal candidate for this laboratory technician position will bring a strong scientific or engineering background with knowledge of materials characterization and solution chemistry laboratory equipment and instrumentation (SEM, XRD, ICP, gas combustion analysis, particle size and surface area measurement, among others). They should be experienced in troubleshooting lab equipment and auxiliary systems, such as air compressors, have a working knowledge of instrument theory of operation, and have experience with data management systems. The candidate should be familiar with a variety of instruments and have exceptional organizational skills. Additionally, they should possess excellent written and verbal communication skills, have a detail-oriented mindset, and be comfortable learning and adapting in a fast-paced organization.
You don’t have to have every listed requirement and skill to be a great fit - you may even teach us something about what we should be looking for! If you are passionate about this opportunity and think you have the skills to succeed, please apply!
Radical Honesty means we are open, transparent, and inclusive in everything we do. We aren't scared to challenge each other, but bring clear motives and our best intentions when we do.
Persistent Optimism means we carry an infinite amount of optimistic energy with us on our journey, constantly chipping away at what may seem insurmountable.
Maximize our learning rate means we're always in discovery mode. Compounding knowledge is our key to victory - we continuously hone our crafts, seek the fastest paths to new learning, and are quick to absorb new knowledge.
Perks and Benefits
- Covered health, dental and vision. Health, dental and vision insurance covered by Heirloom.
- Generous parental leave. 16 weeks paid leave for all Heirloom employees, regardless of primary/secondary caregiver status.
- Generous stock options
- Flexible time off. Flexible PTO for exempt (salaried) employees & 120 hours for full time non-exempt (hourly) employees.
- Stay healthy. Monthly health and wellness reimbursement.
- Learn on the job. Robust annual education and conference budget, including airfare and hotel costs.
Why you should join Heirloom
- We are solving the engineering problem of our generation. Climate change is an existential threat, and we need as many of the world’s motivated minds as possible to help. There is no greater challenge or opportunity than fighting climate change.
- We have done this before. We’re engineers, scientists, and concerned humans from a variety of backgrounds and experiences who are pooling our knowledge and skills to collectively build a more equitable, prosperous future for all.
- We are a united, resilient, and optimistic bunch. We are all here for the same reason - to slow climate change. We recognize the magnitude of the challenge ahead of us, and believe we can solve it. We can see a hopeful future where we eventually reverse climate change. It won’t be easy, but we won’t quit.
- We are backed by the best climate partners in the world. We’re well funded by investors from Breakthrough Energy Ventures, Ahren Innovation Capital, Carbon Direct, Microsoft, Lowercarbon Capital, ARPA-e and the National Science Foundation. Our early customers include Stripe, Shopify, and Klarna, and we’re building durable partnerships that enable us to tackle this decades-long problem.
Target compensation for this role is between $35.00/hour and $45.00/hour depending on level and experience.