Senior Software Engineer, Product / Front-end
In this role, you'll take on whatever it takes to impact and improve our product. Generally, this is full-stack development with an emphasis on modern front-end work (React), but it also includes learning from customer insights, discussing product challenges, and proposing new ideas — a great way to grow your technical expertise and career while furthering a mission-driven product.
We're a small team, so you'll get to know your coworkers well and have low levels of overhead / organizational hierarchy. You'll also usually have an ownership role across multiple projects and products. We move fast — in a typical day, you'll likely take features all the way from ideation to production. Finally, you'll need to approach your work with deep empathy for our customers, treating UX as a top priority and understanding the wide audience we serve.
What you’ll do
- Envision and implement features from beginning to end, across the stack
- Serve in a product manager-like capacity to lead projects across the finish line
- Work closely with the CEO, CTO, and engineering team
- Review coworkers' code to ensure code quality
- Be a part of an on-call rotation (1 week every 5 weeks) to ensure uptime and triage requests from our team
- Connect with internal and external APIs; implement performance improvements
- Respond to other job duties as they come up in a changing startup environment
- Bring a great attitude — we like to have fun too
- TypeScript (we write 100% TypeScript across the entire stack)
- React and Next.js, which powers our front-ends
- GraphQL, which powers our APIs
- Jest and Cypress, which powers our testing
- Key libraries: Material UI, Apollo GraphQL
- Infrastructure: CloudFlare, Render, GitHub
What we’re looking for
Our ideal personality profile is someone who is hungry to work at a fast-moving company; an empathetic and effective communicator; who balances speed, maintainability, and inclusion; who improves our team culture; and who pushes for a learning and growth mindset for themselves and others.
We welcome candidates from all backgrounds.
We’re looking for strong experience with
- modern TypeScript and its ecosystem, including tools, libraries, and practices
- writing performant and modern React, including knowledge of recent developments (React Server Components, suspense, etc)
- databases (PostgreSQL), modeling data, and writing performant queries
- working on a collaborative engineering team
We prefer candidates that have worked with
- Next.js (SSR) and GraphQL (Apollo)
- consuming and creating mission-critical APIs
- small startup environments